You may think that the way I design may be similar to this:
But.. I don’t. I dont create miniature versions of adult clothing… which is the misconception – Sama Baby is a playful, childish line with a beautiful inspiration from India!
So, as a designer of a children’s clothing line – I have been looking at the trends of which moms buy products. Sometimes I even ask moms in airports, boutiques, grocery stores – why did you put that on your child? (of course, in an inquisitive manner, not insulting!) What is it about that garment that makes your child comfortable, and what is your favorite silhouette? Now, I know that may be weird to you – but who knows – you might be sitting next to me on a plane with your cute little one, and I might ask you these same questions.
I have figured out a few things that moms focus on. If you have any other suggestions, please comment because I will incorporate it into my next collection. Every mom’s voice counts when it comes to Sama Baby!
- Accessibility – how easily can I slip this on and off my child?
- Comfort – how comfortable is my child in this? Does this make them itch? Are they allergic?
- Size – does this fit my child well? Too well? Too loose?
- Warmth – will this garment keep my child at the right temperature – keep them warm when needed or, keep them cool when needed?
- Price – is this a good price for the quality I am getting?
- Design – is this designed with good materials? Is it beautiful? How will my child look in this garment?
So, these are the top six pointers I use when designing a collection. Every single garment I create, I use these points to figure out how to create something that is beautiful, well-priced, comfortable, and easy access.